Join our Mailing List

"On my part, I remain committed to the process of dialogue. It is my firm belief that dialogue and a willingness to look with honesty and clarity at the reality of Tibet can lead us to a viable solution."

Khaying passes away in hospital, China says no condolences

October 17, 2011

Phayul[Tuesday, October 11, 2011 16:00]
By Sherab Woeser

DHARAMSHALA, October 11: Khaying, a Tibetan in his late teens, who set himself on fire protesting Chinese rule over Tibet last week, succumbed to his injuries on October 8 at around 1 pm local time.

In his last moments, Khayang told his attendants in the hospital that he felt gratified with his act of self immolation for the cause of Tibet and felt no regret whatsoever.

“Please don’t feel sad for me,” were reportedly his last words.

Khaying along with Choephel, both former monks of Kirti monastery, had on October 7 set themselves ablaze in the central town of Ngaba, eastern Tibet protesting China’s repressive policies and occupation of Tibet.

With hands joined in prayers, both of them had called for Tibetans to unite and rise up against the Chinese regime and raised slogans for Tibet’s freedom and the return of the Dalai Lama from exile. Eyewitnesses told sources in exile that Chinese security personnel arrived at the scene and indiscriminately beat the two while dousing the fire.

Confirming the report, the exile base of Kirti Monastery in Dharamshala, in a release yesterday said that the Chinese authorities declined to hand over Khaying’s body to his family and instead cremated the deceased at an undisclosed location in Barkham area.

Following Khaying’s martyrdom and the multiple instances of self immolation by Tibetans in the last few months, the release said that the general public of Ngaba district closed down all businesses for three days from October 8 – 10 in mark of respect and to show solidarity with their sacrifices.

The report also said that family acquaintances and the general public have been warned from expressing their condolences to Khaying’s family.

“Chinese security personnel are closely guarding Khaying’s house and have warned that people mourning Khaying’s death or expressing condolences would face arrest,” the release said.

Leading up to his self immolation on October 7, Choephel, who is currently being described in critical condition had reportedly told his colleagues that the “current atmosphere of repression was unbearable”.

According to the release, monk Kesang Wangchuk, who had set himself ablaze on October 3 in Ngaba in another protest against Beijing’s rule over Tibet, is currently admitted in a hospital in Ngaba district.

“Kesang Wangchuk, despite his injuries is facing incessant interrogation sessions and is being subjected to indiscriminate beatings,” the release said.

The same day Khaying passed away, China’s official news agency, Xinhua, in a report had said that Choephel and Khaying were out of danger and that the burn injuries they had sustained were not life-threatening.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank