Join our Mailing List

"I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. It is the foundation for world peace."

Tibet Travel Permit

May 28, 2009 (Poland)
May 27, 2009

Reprint from (PR China)

Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) Permits are necessary
for entry to Lhasa or any other part of the
Tibetan Autonomous Region, and are obtained
through tour operators as part of arrangements
for travel; A T.T.B. permit does not obviate the
need for an Aliens' Travel Permit for any closed
areas that may be visited. But you can get them easily from Travel Tibet Guide.

How to get the travel permits?

Because we are a LOCAL travel agency, it's quite
easy for you to get a travel permit with our help. Simply send us your

1) full name;
2) gender;
3) date of birth;
4) passport number;
5) nationality

all exactly the same as on your passport. And you
need to tell us your occupation because
journalists and people that could be involved in
political matters could be revoked (they need
more complicated procedure to get a permit).

You need to apply for the travel permit at least
10 days prior to your entry date.

Please note that if you do not book any tour from
us, we can not help you get the permits. No
travel agency can provide "permit-only" service.
Here is a note from Lonely Planet:

"Lhasa PSB will not issue travel permits to
individuals and will direct you to a travel
agency. Agencies can arrange a travel permit to
almost anywhere but only if you book a Land Cruiser, driver and a guide."
Important Issues about Tibet Travel Permit

1. All kinds of people can get Tibet permit
through a travel agency except diplomats,
journalists, and government officials who should
travel to Tibet under the arrangement by the
Foreign Affairs Office of Tibet Government.

2. After having a permit, a travel agency could
buy you the air tickets, and you can pass the
check-in at the airport and the check point reroute with the permit.

3. Only the guide could hold the permit after you
establish yourself on Tibet land. You are not
allowed to bring with it and travel to anywhere
you want because except Lhasa you need another
permit named as "Aliens' Permit". Otherwise if
you are stopped by the police you will be sent
out of Tibet or have trouble politically and
economically. Furthermore, the travel agency
which helped to get you the permit will also be in trouble.

Therefore seriously not any legitimate travel
agency could sell you the Tibet permit if you do
not book a tour with them. We don't think you
would like to be in trouble due to a "sold" Tibet
permit after you pay a lot of money for the tour.

4. There is a service charge (by the government)
to get the Tibet permit. And it takes time, paper
work, transportation fee and delivery fee for us
to get a permit for you, so Travel Tibet Guide
will charge an extra fee for the permit.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank