Join our Mailing List

"Canada can, within a positive friendly atmosphere, ask the Chinese government to resolve the Tibetan situation."

A wounded Tibetan appealing to world media

June 1, 2009

Tears for the unbearable suffering endured by the Tibetan people
Natalia Idzkowski
The Tibet Post International
May 28, 2009

Dharamsala -- The Department of Information and
International Relations, Tibetan government in
exile, organized a press conference today
featuring 4 newly-arrived Tibetan refugees who
partook in the March 2008 peaceful protests in
Karze county, eastern Tibet. About 30
representatives of the international press were
present. Tsewang Dhondup shared his experiences
at the conference. He joined the 24 March 2008
peaceful protests against the Chinese government
because he was unable to accept China’s claim of
having liberated Tibet or its efforts to
indoctrinate Tibetans, including young children,
to denounce His Holiness the Dalai Lama.  “During
the Cultural Revolution period, my grandfather
Dampa was arrested and detained for 8 months on
the charge of displaying a photograph of His
Holiness the Dalai Lama in his home.

My family barely had enough to eat. On the day of
the protest, I was participating in the
construction of an irrigation channel necessary
for farming. I learned of a demonstration and
headed for the main nunnery. It was quite far to
travel and, when I arrived, it was evident that
the police force had opened fire on the 200
laypeople and 300 nuns present. A Tibetan monk
from the Chokri Monastery named Kung, son of
Tashi Gyaltsen and approximately 20 years of age,
had been shot by the Peoples Armed Police (PAP)
at the site of the protest. I saw his body lying
on the ground and, surrounded by evidence of
Chinese repressive measures and brutality, rushed
to try to save him. I was then shot, once in my
hand and once in my back; the second bullet
pierced through my midsection and the first
paralyzed my entire arm. I attempted to carry the
monk to a safe place, but by then I was barely
conscious and unable to carry him further. Then
my brother carried him. Badly injured, we fled to
the mountains.  My wounds soon became infected
and infested with maggots. We had no access to
medical care. The pain was unbearable; I came
close to committing suicide. My brother Lobasang
Thupten risked his life to obtain medicines in a
nearby village. On the way, he was subjected to
extreme cold and suffered frostbite. We lived
like wild animals ­ Tibetan people in their own land.

Tsewang Dhondup was born on 8 October 1970, song
of Tenzin Dakpa (Tenlu) and Norbu Lhadon in
Chokri Gorong Village. He began attending at the
age of 8, but due to the lack of proper
educational facilities and qualified instructors,
he was compelled to work as a shepherd and,
later, as a small-scale businessman.

My brother, who was born to Gyurgha and Tsering
Dolma in 1978, was compelled to leave his wife,
two children and our 65-year old mother behind in
order to help me escape Tibet by motorbike. Our uncle was sent to jail.

Tibetan people have been denied the basic Human
Rights to live freely in their own land. They are
subject to strict restrictions. The Chinese
government maintains a policy which propels the
gradual extermination of the Tibetan people.
Tibetans are frequently relocated and reinstated
in temporary quarters; many face hardships when
the short-term financial assistance proves
inadequate. I survived my ordeal on the hope of
appealing to the international media to visit
Tibet, despite the limitations imposed upon
reporters. You will shed tears for the miserable
livelihood and unbearable suffering endured by the Tibetan people.”

28may20094Five Tibetans -- four nuns and one
layperson -- were arrested on 25 March 2008 and
later sentenced to a term of 3 consecutive years.
Their names are Wangmo, Yepung Donyang, Dolma,
Yangsto and Kelsang Dorjee. Three additional nuns
­ Khandro Lhamo, Choedon and Yangtso ­ received
7-year prison terms. Sonam Yarphel, a
businessman, was sentenced to 10 years in prison
on the charge of ‘leaking information to the
outside world.’ Lobsang Yarphel received 3 years
in prison and Dorjee (Kampung) was sentenced to 4
years. Kampung’s father Jamyang was shot during a
peaceful demonstration in Kardze County.  His
health is reportedly deteriorating with little
hope of rehabilitation, as he was deprived of
medical attention during his
imprisonment.  Pelgah was arrested on 9 March
2008 and sentenced to 3 years. On 20 March 2009,
Sonam Dhondup, Norbu, Jampa Tashi, Yeshi, two
monks from the Menyak Monastery and one layperson
from Dadowa were arrested. On 15 April 2009,
Sonam Dhondup and Norbu were give 3-year prison
sentences. Rigzin Karma, Chodak, Rigzin, Tseyang
and numerous others were accused of ‘separatism’
in the arrest warrant issued by the Karze Public Security Bureau (PSB) in 2008.

Madhue Gonpo, a fellow refugee, stated: "I would
like to emphasize that the Chinese policy of
repression in Tibet causes indescribable
suffering.  On 18 March 2008 my friend Karze
Ngoega and I, along with ten others, led a
peaceful protest in the market square of Karze
Prefecture and crossed two bridges. Ten
protesters were arrested and subsequently
sentenced to serve between 3 and 8 years. My
friend Ngoega was sentenced to 8 years in prison.
Many Tibetans from Kanze County are still
missing, including Shaomeimei, Tsering Dorjee,
Nangsal Wangden, Namgyal. Four were injured by
bullets. Twenty people are believed to have been
fatally wounded. Four have been confirmed dead:
Ngoega, Jamyang, Pema Dechen and Tseten
Dhundup.  The Chinese enact pressure upon senior
lamas and religious figures; a leading monk from
the Bora Monastery, Geshe Sonam Tsentsuk, was
targeted by the Chinese government in 1999 and
died after he was injected with poison. “

Tsering Gyurmey added that, "The authorities
publicly offered a monetary reward for
information leading to the detainment of
escapees. This year, the sum was increased from
20,000 to 30,000 Chinese yen.  The Tibetans named
on the arrest warrant are: Tsering Neme (Tsering
Gyurmey), Madhue Gonpo, Bhumo Shao Menmen, Tseten
Puntsok and Tashi Namgyal (Kelsang).” His brother
Tenzin Ngodup and another man were sentenced to 3
years for demonstrating on 20 May 2008. His uncle
Sonam Nyima also arrested in April 2009 and subsequently released.

Edited by YC. Dhardhowa, The Tibet Post International
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank