Join our Mailing List

"For a happier, more stable and civilized future, each of us must develop a sincere, warm-hearted feeling of brotherhood and sisterhood."

Tibetan filmmaker denied appeal to 6-year sentence

January 9, 2010 January 7, 2010

New York - The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on the Xining
provincial court in Qinghai province to allow imprisoned Tibetan documentary
filmmaker Dhondup Wangchen to appeal a six-year prison sentence he was given
last week.

The appeal period expires today, but the journalist was unable to file after
being denied access to his chosen lawyer, according to his Switzerland-based
film company, Filming for Tibet. His family has not been formally notified
of his trial or the verdict, the company said in a statement. CPJ was unable
to reach the filmmaker's wife, Lhamo Tso, by phone.

Filming for Tibet said the court sentenced Dhondup Wangchen on December 28,
2009. Gyaljong Tsetrin, Dhondup Wangchen's cousin, told CPJ by telephone
from Switzerland today he had learned of the sentencing from contacts in
Xining, but had not been able to determine the exact nature of the charge
against his cousin. International news reports said last year the journalist
was to be tried behind closed doors for state subversion. The filmmaker has
been infected with Hepatitis B since his imprisonment and is being held in
poor conditions without enough food or sleep, Gyaljong Tsetrin told CPJ.

Chinese police arrested Dhondup Wangchen in March 2008, after he completed
filming for the documentary "Leaving Fear Behind." Dechen Pemba, the film's
spokesperson, described his secret detention on the CPJ blog last month.

"The detention and trial of Dhondup Wangchen have been secretive and against
Chinese law," said Bob Dietz, CPJ Asia program coordinator. "Chinese
authorities should not persecute a journalist for the straightforward act of
filmmaking. He should be allowed to appeal this unjust sentence."

Dhondup Wangchen, a farmer without formal education or filmmaking
experience, was born in Qinghai but lived in Lhasa, the capital of the
Tibetan Autonomous Region, as a young man, according to his film company's
Web site. He and his colleagues conceived the idea of filming interviews
with ordinary Tibetans about China's rule of Tibet in the run-up to the 2008
Beijing Olympic Games. His wife and four children moved to Dharamsala,
India, before he began the project to protect them from reprisal by Chinese
authorities if they objected to his filming.

Dhondup Wangchen's assistant, Jigme Gyatso, was arrested on March 23, 2008.
Jigme Gyatso, a monk, was released on October 15, 2008, according to
international news reports. After he described being beaten in detention to
journalists, he was briefly rearrested in March 2009 and released the next
month, according to Filming for Tibet.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank