Join our Mailing List

"Canada can, within a positive friendly atmosphere, ask the Chinese government to resolve the Tibetan situation."

Tibetan exiles raise death toll

March 25, 2008

BBC News
Monday, 24 March 2008

The Tibetan government-in-exile says it can now confirm that 130 people
died during the recent clashes in and around the Himalayan region.

The government-in-exile, based in northern India, had previously
announced a death toll of 99, while China has so far reported 19 deaths.

Independent confirmation of either figure has been impossible to obtain.

Foreign journalists remain banned from Tibet, where the protests first
began on 10 March.

The clashes have since spread to Tibetan communities in neighbouring
Gansu, Sichuan and Qinghai provinces.

Two versions of events

Chinese and Tibetan sources have given very different accounts of the
protests, which were started by Buddhist monks on the anniversary of a
Tibetan uprising against Chinese rule.

The Chinese media claim the violence was caused by rioters, saying
people were stabbed or burnt to death in Tibet's main city, Lhasa.

Chinese authorities have blamed the Dalai Lama for orchestrating the
unrest, in an attempt to sabotage this summer's Beijing Olympics and
promote Tibetan independence.

But the Tibetan government-in-exile, based in Dharamsala, northern
India, says innocent civilians were killed by Chinese troops.

China's state media has recently attacked foreign news coverage of the
unrest, claiming it is unfair.

The official People's Daily newspaper said foreign journalists had
misrepresented government efforts to restore order as a military crackdown.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665   ctcoffice@tibet.ca
Developed by plank