THE Dalai Lama may apply for a South African visa for the third time in two years after IFP leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi invited him to attend a prayer meeting on Human Rights Day next March.
The fresh visa application of Tibet’s spiritual leader will be yet another headache for President Jacob Zuma.
In his letter of invitation, Buthelezi wrote to the Dalai Lama: “Twice I have planned and hoped to meet with you to pray together, receive your spiritual guidance and discuss the state of the world and its politics.”
Yesterday, the IFP and COPE hit government with court papers accusing them of breaching the constitution by ignoring the Dalai Lama’s recent visa application.
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu lashed out at Zuma’s government 10 days ago, calling it a “disgrace”. “You don’t represent me. You represent your own interests and I am warning you, I am really warning you, out of love, I am warning you like I warned the nationalists, one day we will start praying for the defeat of the ANC government,” he said.
This was after the departments of Home Affairs, International Relations and the Presidency passed the buck among each other over the application, delaying a decision until the Dalai Lama was forced to call off his trip, missing Tutu’s 80th birthday.
It was the second time government had “ignored” a visa application by the Dalai Lama, creating the impression that Zuma was bent on kowtowing to China, and sparking protests in several cities and university campuses.
The urgent application by Buthelezi and COPE president Mosiuoa Lekota lodged in the Western Cape High Court yesterday argues that Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma acted unlawfully by passing the visa application on to International Relations – which has “no powers under the act to make any determination on the granting of a visa”.
They also called on Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, the student groups and non-governmental organisations who recently protested at government’s treatment of the Dalai Lama, to join the case as amicus curiae (friends of the court).
Top immigration lawyer Gary Eisenberg told a COPE and IFP press conference in parliament yesterday: “This case is all about the Bill of Rights and [government’s] flagrant violation in not processing the visa application.”
Speaking at the same conference, IFP MP Mario Oriani-Ambrosini said the Immigration Act did not allow the Minister of Home Affairs to “duck, dive and run away [from visa applications] like a guilty, scolded child”.
The court application will be heard on November 22, and if successful, could pave the way for the Tibetan spiritual leader to get a visa for the event on Human Rights Day on March 21 next year.
Government spokespeople were caught off guard by the sudden court application.
Presidency spokesmen Mac Maharaj and Harold Maloka insisted that only the International Relations department could speak on the Dalai Lama’s visas.
When told that COPE and the IFP were arguing that International Relations had no legal right to grant visas, Maloka would only say that the matter had been handled by International Relations all along.
Home Affairs spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa refused to comment, claiming that Dlamini-Zuma had not yet been served with the legal papers. “We will respond once the papers have been served,” he said.
International Relations spokesman Clayson Monyela would only say: “We’ll respond to the court case in court.”
Oriani-Ambrosini said the Dalai Lama’s staff were told openly by the South African High Commission in India that the decision to grant him a visa was a political one, and that he should get “his people” in South Africa to put pressure on the authorities.
“The Dalai Lama approached government as early as April for a visa but was told that he was too early and he should come back at a later time. He did so at exactly the time he was told to apply. Government’s conduct led to the effective denial of an entry visa to the Dalai Lama,” Oriani-Ambrosini said.
When he worked in the Department of Home Affairs for 10 years, visas were regularly processed for “VIPs” within 20 minutes, he said.
Yet after the high commission finally accepted the Dalai Lama’s visa application this year, it “sat with them for weeks without any action”.
Home Affairs and International Relations “appeared unable or, more likely, unwilling to come to a decision. This is a clear and blatant case of a public officer unreasonably failing to take a decision,” say the court papers.
A supporting affidavit from Sonam Tenzing, the Dalai Lama’s representative in South Africa, says the South African High Commissioner to India, Sehloho Moloi, repeatedly told the Dalai Lama’s staff that he needed “clearance” from Pretoria before the visa could be processed.
At one point, the high commission even returned the Dalai Lama’s visa application, instructing his staff to apply to a private global visa company known as VFS.
The IFP took the government to court in 2009 after they “ignored” the Dalai Lama’s first visa application on the grounds that his visit would distract attention from the 2010 Soccer World Cup.
Oriani-Ambrosini said that as this application was still pending, the facts of the cases would be put together.
Government has until Monday to say whether they oppose the application.
Cosatu could not be reached for comment yesterday but it is unlikely they will join the IFP and COPE’s court case because, although they condemned “the forked-tongue communication and lack of openness throughout the entire saga”, they said the Dalai Lama was pro-Israel and supported the American invasion of Iraq in 2003.
http://www.dispatch.co.za/news/article/2169