Join our Mailing List

"As long as human rights are violated, there can be no foundation for peace. How can peace grow where speaking the truth is itself a crime?"

Longest Court Case of Tibetan Youth Congress Deferred Once More

January 10, 2011

Saturday, 08 January 2011 16:10 Tenzin Norsang, TYC, Tibet Post

Delhi: A "Valentine Date" at the New Delhi High Court is what was
decided on Friday, 7 January, by the High Court Judge in New Delhi.
Eight Tibetans were ordered to appear with affidavits and proof of
residence on 14 February 2011 for what is hoped will be the final
hearing of an outstanding court case.

In Spring 1992, nine members of the Regional Tibetan Youth Congress of
Hunsur Rabgyaling settlement in South India embarked on a rally called
"Save Tibet Yatra". The group reached New Delhi on 9 March to coincide
with the major campaign activity organized by the Central Executive of
Tibetan Youth Congress for the 33rd commemoration of the 10th March
Tibetan National Uprising Day. The following day on 11 March 1992, the
nine Tibetans went to the Chinese Embassy in Chanakyapuri around 1 pm,
waved the Tibetan National flag and shouted slogans denouncing China's
illegal occupation of Tibet. The group also tried to enter into the
Embassy but was prevented by the Security personnel on duty. The nine
were arrested and later taken to Tihar Jail.

Almost two decades later and after sixty court hearings, the group is
once again summoned for hearing in New Delhi High Court. During this
time, one of the persons passed away. Following a series of unsuccessful
hearings and the last decision against TYC, the case was appealed to the
Delhi High Court on 25 January 2000. The eight are being tried under the
Indian Penal Code section 307, 436, 427, 148, 149, 186 and 353.

Mr. Tenzin Norsang, Joint Secretary of TYC, who was handling this case
appealed to the Judge along with lawyer Mr. Panday on behalf of all the
protesters, noting the difficulty of traveling repeatedly for this case
all the way from South India. The 14 February hearing will hope fully be
final. Following the decision to make this a final appearance, TYC
Centrex and RTYC Delhi organized are reception in Majnu-Ka-Tila on
January 7th to honor the protesters for their enduring spirit and
courage. Mr. Pema Dorjee spoke on behalf of the group and asserted that
their sacrifice is minuscule compared to the sacrifices made by Tibetans
inside Tibet. "We face problems coming again and again for the last 20
years for the hearings, but we never lose our spirit for Tibet's
Independence", he added.

The eight Tibetans are Tsering Thundup (74), Tsering Norbu (74), Namgyal
Dorjee(53), Tamding(55),N. Dorjee(54), Lobsang (58), Choegyal (56) and
Pema Dorjee(68). Choegyal could not appear for this hearing on medical

This court case has started and remained pending since the time Mr.
Lhasang Tsering took office for the second time as President of TYC.
Since then seven Centrex teams have changed hands and every office has
continued to deal with this case. This maybe the longest court case in
TYC's history, but this is definitely not the only case in existence.
TYC has to consistently deal with numerous other court hearings of cases
that have been lodged over the years resulting from our various campaign
activities. The campaigns have been concluded but TYC has to continue to
follow up on the court procedures that require our attention.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank