Join our Mailing List

"For a happier, more stable and civilized future, each of us must develop a sincere, warm-hearted feeling of brotherhood and sisterhood."

Police Shoot Tibetan Monk Who Set Self on Fire

March 1, 2009

By Maureen Fan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Saturday, February 28, 2009; A09

BEIJING, Feb. 27 -- A young Tibetan monk was shot by Chinese police
after he set himself on fire Friday, the third day of the Tibetan New
Year, at a market in Sichuan province's Aba prefecture, Tibetan activist
groups said, citing eyewitnesses.

Many Tibetans this year are avoiding celebrating the New Year or are
instead using the 15-day holiday to commemorate those killed in deadly
riots in Lhasa last March. Chinese authorities, determined to avoid a
recurrence of the violence, have sharply increased security patrols,
detentions and so-called reeducation campaigns. They are especially
nervous about March 10, the 50th anniversary of the 1959 Tibetan
uprising, which Chinese troops forcibly suppressed shortly before the
Dalai Lama fled into exile and Beijing imposed its own government in Tibet.

Witnesses told the activist groups that the monk's protest came shortly
after he and about 1,000 other monks were refused entry to the main
prayer hall at the Kirti Monastery in Aba because local authorities had
forbidden observation of Monlam, a traditional prayer festival held
after Losar, as the New Year is known. In defiance of the order, the
monks sat down outside to begin their prayers about 1 p.m. while older
monks pleaded with them to disperse, according to Students for a Free
Tibet and the Washington-based International Campaign for Tibet.

The monks complied, but then a monk in his 20s named Tapey came out of
the monastery, took out a homemade flag bearing a photograph of the
Dalai Lama and at 1:40 p.m. walked to a nearby street market. He had
doused himself with oil by the time he reached an intersection in the
market, where he set himself on fire, the activist groups said.

Witnesses said police then fired three shots at Tapey. At the first
shot, he fell, said Kate Saunders, a spokeswoman for the International
Campaign for Tibet, and officials removed him from the scene.

Eyewitnesses said they believed he was dead, but his condition has not
been confirmed.

Phones at the public security bureau and government offices in Aba
county were not answered Friday night and early Saturday. A doctor at
Aba Hospital who gave his surname as Luo said, "Even we don't know where
the monk is. Hospital officials had a meeting and told us not to say

After the incident, 500 monks from the monastery immediately began
funeral rites for the monk.

A Chinese employee of an Internet cafe surnamed Mu said the streets of
Aba were largely empty, except for armed policemen. Shops have been
closing earlier than usual, he said.

The Kirti Monastery in Sichuan has links to the Kirti Monastery in
Dharmsala, India, where monks said eyewitnesses in Tibet had reported
the self-immolation and the shooting, the activist groups said.

Dozens of Tibetans from in and around Aba prefecture were killed last year.
CTC National Office 1425 René-Lévesque Blvd West, 3rd Floor, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3G 1T7
T: (514) 487-0665
Developed by plank